If you have ever traveled to North America and eaten cheesecake you would know the amazingness (yes it’s a word) or Graham Crackers. They are a sweet honey biscuit and are delicious on their own with a cup of tea or as the base of a cheesecake which is what I made this batch for!
Graham Crackers are fiddly to make, they are a little like sugar cookies. They need time to chill between each stage so I don’t make them very often, but trust me! They are well worth the time and effort!
Preheat your oven to 170 degrees
2.5 Cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon of bicarb soda
3/4 cup of firmly packed brown sugar
100g butter – cut into cubes and freeze for 20 minutes.
1 teaspoon of salt (I use pink Himalayan sea salt)
1/3 cup of honey
5 tablespoons of milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
You can make this in a food processor, Thermomix or a stand mixer. I use my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the paddle attachment.
1. In the mixer bowl add the brown sugar, flour, bicarb and salt, mix for a few seconds until combined. Add butter and mix on a low-medium speed until the mix resembles crumbs.
2. In a separate bowl mix honey, vanilla and milk together and add to the flour mix.
3. Mix on a low speed until the mixture forms a dough.
4. Turn mixture out onto a board and form a ball. Place dough in the freezer for 20 minutes.
5. Pull out one ball of dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured bench, cut in half and place one half back in the freezer.
6. Roll to 1/2 cm thick and cut into a rectangle shape by cutting away they rough edges.
7. Cut the rectangle into squares and place the squares on a tray lined with baking paper.
8. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and sprinkle over the top of the cookies. Place tray in the freezer for 15 minutes.
9. Place cookies in the oven and bake for 15 minutes (turn cookie sheet around after 9 minutes to ensure they cook evenly). Cookies should be brown on the edges.
10. Place on a cooling rack to cool.
I will be showing you the amazing cheesecake I am baking with these later on!